Monday 7 December 2015

Coffee Review - Moccona Indulgence

Finally I pushed myself to start this blog on coffee review - non cafe focus.

Introduction: I am a typical office worker who drinks 3 - 6 servings of black coffee (i.e. plain coffee without milk or sugar) daily on average. I rarely rarely drink 3-in-1 coffee nor coffee from Kopitiam / cafe. 

3 in 1 has more cream and sugar than black coffee, same for kopitiam's coffee. 

Black coffee from Kopitiam is too sourish without character. 

Lastly, the cost of coffee from cafe for 3 - 6 servings will burn a massive hole in my wallet! 

So my options are soluble coffee powder and grinded coffee powder (use with french press). I broke 2 glass french press and got a metal press as a parting gift from my ex colleagues :) 

I am going to use the 6 aspects of description (see link for info) and price to review the coffee:

  1. Aroma
  2. Flavour
  3. Acidity
  4. Body
  5. Finish
  6. Price

Review of 1st label:

Moccona Indulgence



  • Aroma: timber/floral scent; very permeable
  • Flavour: complex and woody
  • Acidity: very dry and sharp (very distinctive)
  • Body: medium
  • Finish: distinctive astringent feel
  • Cost: $9.95 - $10.95 (cheaper during promotion)

Aroma: strong with slight sourish tint

Upon dissolving the powder, a thick fine bubbly foam formed and you could smell a slight sourish and woody scent emitting from the cup. But wow! The flavour surprised me totally. Prior to Moccona Indulgence (MI), I have only tried 2 other brands of soluble coffee powder, namely Nescafe (Gold and Classic) and Robert Timms Rich and Smooth. 

MI has the strongest flavour as well as having the driest aftertaste among all. Really nice finish. For the next 10 minutes or so, your breath would have the sexy smoky coffee aroma (think of girls smile at you in a conversation instead of forcing a weird expression upon smelling some kind of bad breath). To sum it up, MI is my kind of taste :)


Depending on the amount of powder you are using, 100g (MI only available in 100g) will last me about 2 weeks to 2.5 weeks if I brew my daily cups of coffee using MI exclusively. Definitely cost less than getting Starbucks / Coffee Bean or $1 - $1.30 coffee shop style coffee.


Couldn't agree more with this description actually - compared to 99% of the description on food packaging.

















Some how, there is always a layer of foam and minute bubbles formed after stirring vigorously...  I know that isn't crema but the sight of it just makes me happy.




Beware!! Do not mistaken Moccona Indulgence with Moccona Continental Gold or Moccona Classic. Good stuffs do not come with cheap price! I would serve Moccona Classic to people I dislike :P



PS: I am not paid by Moccona brand or its affiliated companies for this review

5 comments:

  1. This is my favorite instant coffee after trying Nescafe/Robert Tamms. Bloody expensive but it is the richest instant coffee experience I've ever had. It is so rich the aftertaste lasts for hours. However, the other lines from Moccona suck (I tried their chocolate coffee/continental gold and expresso).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer their freeze-dried coffee, not the powder. . Overall totally agree with your impressions, although I would change *sourish* to *bitter* to describe it's gently sharp edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the taste of Moccona 'Indulgence' I put 50 mls of fresh cream with 25 mls of pasteurized (but non-homogenized) milk in a cup. A level teaspoon of Indulgence, and a level teaspoon of 50/50 Demarara/Dark Cane sugar. Stir the ingredients, then top up the cup with boiling water. I don't use an incantation :) Comments are welcome

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best! Light roast coffee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great share. Such a helpful and informative content. It helped me a lot. Thankful to you for sharing this information and along with this i also make a reference from best coffee powder for coffee maker, I hope it also helps.

    ReplyDelete